Saturday, February 10, 2007

Washing Machine Warranty Crises

Lying on the sofa; basking in a sunbeam; watching ribbons of dust specks swirl in the light. One should catch the pleasures in the small mundane things in life. After all, life has far more of the mundane moments than thrills. My washing machine broke today just one year and plus some days after the date of purchase. I have a faint memory of buying an extended warranty. So I called the big box store, which asks for my warranty number. Don’t remember having anything with a warranty number, but that is ok I am told as long as I have my sales receipt. I don’t have a sales receipt. I swear the salesman told me that the information was kept in the store’s computer system and easily retrieved. Now I am told that is not true. Note to myself – whenever buying substantial purchases to staple the sales receipt and warranty material to the product instruction book. I have a drawer full of those, mostly for items I now longer have. Another note to myself - Copy the sales receipt before mailing to claim the rebate and then staple the copy to the product instruction book. Somehow I resentfully feel the big box store's system is unfairly benefiting on the frantic pace of my life. The big box service center suggested I call the manufacturer for the extended warranty information. I do so, the toll free number routes through a circle of confusing menus and finally to a long distance number. I feel my blood pressure start to rise. I travel through another set of menus and my resentment has escalated to rage upon finally connecting to a real person to hear that the big box store only sells their extended warranties not the manufacturers. Hours later I have calmed myself down. I am thinking one should feel blessed whenever anything works or any process flows smoothly. Wouldn’t all be better if we felt gratitude each time something happens as it should throughout the day? I am blessed that my refrigerator worked today, I am blessed that I found the mate to my shoe, thank you car for starting today. So in clothes that could use a washing, I lie on the sofa catching sunbeams.

No comments: